Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Veggie and Turkey Lasagna (No pasta noodles)...

Turkey Lasagna (with no pasta noodles).
(the other recipe adapted from Medifast)
6 oz ground turkey

1 garlic clove, minced

1 T dried parsley flakes
1 T dried basil
1/8 tsp salt

1 can diced tomatoes, drained( add in ½ can or whole depending on serving size, it’s a little runny without).*** you can also add in a half a can of tomato paste to thicken.

3/4 C. 1% cottage cheese( trust me you won’t miss the ricotta).

4 slices or 3 oz. low-fat mozzarella cheese

1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes

2 Tbsp eggbeaters

1-2 small to medium zucchini squash


* When I did my version I used yellow squash and zucchini for the “noodles”. I also used baby spinach, portabella mushrooms, red onions, red, yellow and green bell peppers. I love veggies… By the time I was finished it was enough for a 9x13 pan. It wasn’t a whole lot of meat, but I really couldn’t tell.
 In a large skillet, brown meat with garlic. Drain any fat and add the next 4 ingredients (parsley, basil, salt, tomatoes). Simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

1. Slice zucchini lengthwise in strips. This will be your "noodles." I include the peel but don't use the core with the seeds.

2. Boil in hot water for 3-5 minutes, depending on how thick your slices are. Drain on paper towels.

3. Combine in a bowl cottage cheese, eggs, and the other T dried parsley

4. Now it's time to start assembling! In a smallish greased bread loaf pan, I like to start with a sprinkling of meat on the bottom.



Next add a layer of zucchini "noodles."


5. Top with half the cottage cheese mixture
6. Add almost half the mozzarella cheese

7. Cover with half of the meat mixture.

8. Repeat layers - zucchini, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, meat. Top with the last of the mozzarella cheese or I also think a sprinkling of parmesan cheese would be good here.

9. Bake 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees until the cheese melts and lasagna looks bubbly.

10. Wait 10-15 minutes before serving (if you can!)

Perfect with your favorite glass of red wine...( Zinfandel  or Merlot)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...